After six long years The GIMP Development Team come up with new GIMP (Formerly GNU Image Manipulation Program) Version 2.10 (GIMP 2.10) with all new look and lots of new features.
GIMP is the most popular image editor in Linux Distributions and perhaps the best Adobe Photoshop alternative at least for Linux
Whats New (Feature List) :
- Image processing ported to GEGL image processing engine (0.4.0) and this brings out several new tools and improvements.
Updated user interface and initial HiDPI support
- There are now 4 user interface themes available : Dark (default), Gray, Light, and System. Icons are now separate from themes , so you can old icon if you love the old look.
- Icons are available in four sizes
- Supports OpenEXR, RGBE, WebP, HGT image formats now.
- Color management revamped
- High bit depth support, Multi-threading ,GPU-side processing using GEGL.
- GIMP now ships with two groups of blending modes: legacy (perceptual, mostly to make old XCF files look exactly as before) and default (mostly linear).
Better selection tools
Text tool supports CJK and more writing systems
Digital painting improvements
Digital photography improvements
For Detailed Feature list with example go to this link.
Now th installation part , how to install in Ubuntu.
Installing GIMP 2.10 via PPA
There is an unofficial PPA available that you can use to install GIMP 2.10 directly on Ubuntu.
Open a terminal and use the following commands.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
sudo apt update
sudo apt install gimp
You can skip adding sudo apt update in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS as it will automatically update after adding PPA.
Installing GIMP 2.10 with Flatpak in Ubuntu
You need to enable Flatpak support first.
Type the below command in the terminal and hit enter to add the alexlarsson/flatpak ppa.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexlarsson/flatpak
sudo apt update
sudo apt install flatpak
Once you have Fltapak installed, use the command below to install GIMP 2.10
flatpak install https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/org.gimp.GIMP.flatpakref
Alter natively you can download GIMP flatpak source from here and the run following in respective folder.
flatpak install org.gimp.GIMP.flatpakref
Once installed, if you don’t see it in the menu, you can run it using the command below
flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP
That sit for this article , if you have any question regarding GIMP , Do share your Comments.