Canonical launched latest & LTS version of it’s most popular Linux Operating System Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) and now it is available for download.
As this is an LTS (Long-Term-Support) version , the distro come up with Five years of security and other updates.
Canonical said it is “Optimized for multi-cloud infrastructure, machine learning, AI and software development“.
Canonical has been working with NVIDIA to improve its public cloud General Purpose GPU (GPGPU) support
Latest Ubuntu brings a lot of new features and changes.
- The most important change from last LTS version is that Ubuntu come up with Gnome based system instead of Unity.Although Gnome was given in Ubuntu 17.10 , but we can expect some more improvement as this is the LTS Version.
- Comes with an updated Linux Kernel version 4.15, that enables the latest hardware and peripherals available from IBM, Intel etc.
- 32-bit installer images are no longer provided for Ubuntu Desktop.
- It come up with Xfce not Wayland . The preview was come up with Wayland but now it is expected to come up in 20.04 LTS. (To try it out, just choose Ubuntu on Wayland from the cog on the log in screen.)
- LibreOffice has been updated to latest 6.0.
- GNOME 3.28 support & Ubuntu GNOME flavor has been discontinued.
- Color Emoji now show in most apps. Keyboard shortcuts for the emoji input chooser are Ctrl+. or Ctrl+;
- Calendar with weather forecast support.
- Gnome To Do app added
- GNOME Shell now supports Thunderbolt 3.
- The right-click for touchpads without physical buttons has been changed to a two-finger click instead of clicking in the bottom right of the touchpad. You can install and use the GNOME Tweaks app to change this setting.
- Some utilities have been switched to the Snap for new install (Some of the popular software utilities Like Spotify, Skype, Slack, and Firefox are already officialy make their way to Snap).
- Driver less printing support is now available in this version (The Most problematic thing what we have faced in our office as we totally converted to Ubuntu based system for our daily work).
- Night Light support for better reading at night.
- OpenJDK 10 is the default JRE/JDK. Once OpenJDK 11 reaches GA in September 2018, it will become the default in 18.04
- Support with libteam is available in NetworkManager
- Python 2 is no longer installed by default. Python 3 has been updated to 3.6.
- spice-vdagent is pre-installed for better performance for Spice clients such as the GNOME Boxes app
featurnd after 20 minutes of inactivity while on battery power.
I will post detailed feature review and things to know after using.Till then do comment down below your valueable suggestion that i should include in my next review after using properly.
Reference : Canonical